The man responsible for the best executed (at least as far as I've heard) Motown mix brings you a mix of beats and interviews of Phil Cohran and his sons (The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble). Very enjoyable listen.
This is a collage of sounds from Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and the roots of their music. This half-hour mix is a journey through instrumentals and interviews of Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and Phil Cohran, added in with a sprinkle of Sun Ra, whom Cohran worked with in the pivotal, early years. The listening experience will shed light on the Chicago family’s story, inspiration, and feelings. 9 brothers and a father will share the stage at this legendary, once in a lifetime experience.
Homage III - The Cohran Family Philosphy
Mixed by DJ Expo
1. Randolph St. Swing – Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
2. Ballicki Home – H.B.E.
3. War – H.B.E.
4. Marcus Garvey – H.B.E.
5. Water – H.B.E.
6. Flipside – H.B.E.
7. Rainbows - H.B.E.
8. Scrabble – H.B.E. feat Miguel Atwood-Ferguson (recorded live in LA)
9. Alyo - H.B.E.
10. Tema Do Canibal – BK-One feat Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
11. Brass In Africa - H.B.E.
12. Africa – Sun Ra
13. White Nile – Phil Cohran and Legacy
14. The Dogon – Phil Cohran and Legacy
15. Unity - Phil Cohran & The Artistic Heritage Ensamble
16. Mushallah – Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
17. Moments – H.B.E.
18. Spottie – H.B.E.
19. Black Boy – Hypnotic Brass (w/ readings by Phil Cohran)